Sunday, July 1, 2007

Happy Canada Day

Happy Birthday Canada.
As I write this blog, I hear the sound of firecrackers that my neighbours are letting off, celebrating Canada Day. There are some small children running around and I wonder what they are being taught in school about our country's history. So many Canadians do not know who was the first Prime Minister of Canada. Nor do they know the names of all of our provinces and territories. Will our children in today's schools sing the words to the Maple Leaf Forever...In days of yore, from Britain's shore, Wolfe the dauntless hero came,... I am certain they do not have a clue who Wolfe was, what the Plains of Abraham are or what the Seven Years War meant to our country. How sad they are missing out. I enjoyed taking history in school, I enjoyed learning about this beautiful vast country of ours and reading about our dauntless heroes who went before us.

No comments: